For plant-based diets replace steak with tofu or other protein of your choosing. Replace fish sauce with salt to taste. Replace beef broth with vegetable broth.
This recipe makes 4-6 servings.
- 1lb of steak
- 16oz can coconut milk (full fat is best)
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1lb baby bella mushrooms
- 1 russet potato
- 1 ripe mango
- 3-5 cloves of garlic (more or less depending on your preference)
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 3 medium carrots or 1-2 large
- Olive oil
- 2-3 tbsp fish sauce
- Dried chili peppers (chili flakes will be fine if you don’t have full peppers)
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- 1 tsp of paprika
- ½ tsp of turmeric
- ½ tsp of cumin
- Black pepper to taste
- Prepare your spice blend by combining all ingredients and setting it aside.
- Cook your rice by the method of your choice. (stovetop, rice cooker, rice in a bag, etc.)
- Prepare your steak by bringing the meat to room temperature (this is important for making the meat tender). Cut your steak into 1 inch cubes and season with salt and ¼ of your spice blend. Set aside.
- Chop all your vegetables into similar sized pieces. Mince garlic and slice ginger.
- Heat your pot to medium heat. Add oil, garlic, ginger and cook until fragrant and garlic is toasted. Add in ¼ of your spice blend.
- Add in meat. Once it starts to brown add in onions then your root vegetables (potatoes and carrots)
- Add in broth, the rest of your spice blend, fish sauce, chili peppers and coconut milk. Stir to incorporate.
- Bring to boil, cover with lid, and simmer on low for 10 minutes.
- When root vegetables are about ½ way done, add cubed mango and peppers. Avoid stirring the whole pot so your potatoes stay together. Wait another 5-10 minutes for all vegetables to be cooked thoroughly.
- Add mushrooms and cook for 1-2 minutes
- Serve over rice, garnish with Thai basil leaves and fresh scallion, and enjoy!
Watch the Video:
Follow Meghan and Matt’s travels on Instagram, @meghanandmatt, for more recipes, tips, and adventures!